Monday, June 23, 2008

Gluten-Free Baking

I don't have diagnosed food allergies. However, I do have a crap-ton of other allergies. And approximately two years ago I discovered just how much food influenced my other allergies. The only thing to do was make a drastic (but not permanent) change. I had to go gluten-free, dairy-free, pork-free, fried food-free, limited soy and a few other odds and ends for a minimum of 6 months. And I had to change overnight.

This, to say the least, was a challenge. But I managed for six months to eat the most boring diet I have ever managed to have. Ever. Mostly because of how under-educated I was on the subject of alternative diets. Needless to say, because of this I learned to research and seek out new and different and tasty things. My diet worked, I felt 100% healthier.

Anymore, I'm not as strict as those 9 months (how long I was on the über diet). I don't stay entirely gluten free all year, but I am about 80% gluten free in the summer (when my allergies are at their worst). I don't consume cow-milk products any more if I can avoid it at all. But I do consume a lot of goat-milk products.

However, when I do have to limit my gluten intake my biggest complaint is that gluten free baking sucks! Store-bought items taste horrible. And this year I've discovered I'm corn sensitive so buying in store gluten-free is harder than ever. Thus, I resort to baking.

My first ever successful gluten-free baked good were these muffins, which are an adaption of a gluten recipe off of Jaime At Home by Jaime Oliver (aka The Naked Chef).

Pumpkin Coconut Spice Muffins

Makes 24 Muffins
15 oz Pumpkin Puree (alternately, butternut squash)
2 1/4 Cups Brown Sugar (alternately, sucanat or agave nectar)
4 Large eggs
1 Cup Almond Meal
1 Cup Sorghum Flour
1/2 Cup All-Purpose Gluten Free Flour
3/4 Cup Oil (olive, palm, veggie, whatever you like best)
1 Cup shredded coconut (approximate) (alternately, dates, almonds or other nuts, dried fruit, etc)
2 tsp Baking Powder (if you need it to be gluten free, make sure that this item qualifies!)
2 tsp Xanthum Gum (alternately guar gum)
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
Pinch of Sea Salt

Blend Pumpkin, eggs and oil. Blend dry ingredients in separate bowl. Mix in dry ingredients slowly until incorporated (do not over mix). Put into paper-lined cupcake pans and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 F

No comments: