Sunday, June 22, 2008

Welcome and Introductions

I'm nothing if not a foodie. I love good food. I love tasty food. I love both expensive and cheap food. And occasionally I even love junk food. Sometime between home-life and college I learned how to cook and bake, and then I decided I needed to actually use these life skills.

I decided to start this blog because I think cooking and baking are represented as challenges in our modern world, rather than fun activities. I know not everyone is going to love to cook like I do. But, if I can get the most timid person out there to attempt this domestic act then I've done my job.

I think that more people should have fun with cooking, baking and all thing cuisine related. We shouldn't settle for take out just because everything else seems too difficult or like it will come out tasteless. Ramen is not a food group and Rachel Ray is not the only one who can make 30 minute meals. So, I've decided to have fun with this and see where it takes me.

Onto the introductions:

I'm 23 and single. I currently reside in a suburb just outside the city of Chicago. I spent my college career in Washington, DC which lead to the discovery of many a fine dining establishment.

I started cooking in college for myself. I started cooking well when I cooked for other people. This began with cooking for the Jewish holidays (about 80% of my college friends were Jewish, though I myself am not). Then when we moved off campus it turned into a full time stress-reliever. When I needed to escape from my thesis work, it was often to the kitchen to fix dinner. Some meals were more adventurous than others and some meals were even take out or pizza.

Eventually I had to move out on my own and my cooking exploration began anew. This was aided by the fact that I've discovered seasonal food sensitivities. I have seasonal allergies, and sometimes certain foods just make them worse. My first adventure into the world that is alternative-diets was a mild nightmare filled with bland stuffs that never quite satisfied the pallet. Since then I've done research and reading and recipe hunting to find actual alternatives to eating the "normal" American diet.

I named this blog "Vite Cooking" for a couple of reasons. First and foremost - I'm a nerd and I took latin in college. Secondly "Life Cooking" didn't sound as fun. But that's what this blog is, Life Cooking. Cooking that's fun. Cooking that's tasty. Cooking that you just have to share with friends.

In this blog you'll find a combination of recipes. Everyday fare, gluten-free, vegetarian, vegan and the like will all be included. Some are original and some are adapted from other sources. I will be sure to cite any materials I use.

So good eating everyone, and I hope you find my recipes, tidbits and tips helpful :)

No comments: