Sunday, June 22, 2008

Salads for Summertime

I'm the first to admit that I'm not much of a salad person. I know they're good for you. I even like how they taste most of the time. But salad, by and large, is something I have to be in the mood for. However, my desire for something cool, green and refreshing rises proportionately with the thermostat. With the recent 80 degree weather here in Chicago, you can imagine that it's become somewhat of a craving.

The only problem I have with salads, however, is that they often don't fill me up. I find that about 30 minutes later (much like Chinese food) I'm hungry again. The only thing that seemed to somewhat sate me were Chipotle's massive salads with beans and meat on the top. Not being a vegan or vegetarian myself, I will often indulge in a nice salad with black beans and carnitas.

However, tonight's dinner was not only composed of two (yes two!) separate salads, both of them were vegan and gluten-free. I have to say that not only am I satisfied three hours later, I'm not hungry for a snack (I had a small snack - but that's a side effect of baking. You always want to try what comes out of the oven).


So I bring you two (slightly altered) salads from my new cookbook, Skinny Bitch In The Kitch by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin.

Tabouleh

Approx 6 servings

2 Cups Cooked Quinoa Grain (follow directions on package)
1/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tomato, cut into tiny diced bits
1/2 Cucumber, cut into tiny diced bits
1/2 Red Onion, cut into tiny diced bits
1/3 cup chopped Mint
1/3 cup chopped Parsley
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Juice of 1 Lemon

While the quinoa is cooking, chop the tomato, cucumber and onion. Combine in bowl. Chop parsley and mint. Combine with vegitables. In a small bowl whisk olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.

When quinoa is cooked combine with vegetables, add dressing and mix. Then let sit in fridge until chilled. Alternately, cook the quinoa in advance and put into refrigerator. Add chilled quinoa to vegetables, mix with dressing and serve.

4 Bean Salad

Approx 8 Servings

Dressing:
2 table spoons stone ground mustard
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt
Pepper

Salad:
1 can unsalted black beans
1 can unsalted garbanzo beans
1 can unsalted kidney beans
1 cup (thawed if frozen) shelled edamame
2 shallots chopped
1/2 cucumber chopped

Rinse beans in water until clear, combine in large bowl. Add chopped cucumber and shallots. In a small bowl combine ingredients for dressing. Pour on top of bean mixture and toss lightly. Season with more salt, pepper and basil to taste.

No comments: