Thursday, July 3, 2008

Interesting Dinners

More often than not, I find myself in a dinner-rut. I can only take so much white rice. I can only take so many nights of chicken or rice or steamed vegetables. Occasionally I'll make a bowl of gluten-free pasta, but it usually leaves me wanting. I've found a better brand than what I used to eat, but still there really is only so much pasta one can eat before it all tastes the same.

One day while shopping at whole foods I noticed that their ground lamb is actually very reasonably priced, and decided that I should make something with lamb. It's not my favorite meat but I really do enjoy a bit from time to time.

And so my Lamb Stuffed Peppers recipe was born.


Lamb Stuffed Peppers:

Serves 4

2 cups white rice
1 cup ground lamb
1 cup spinach
1 cup feta cheese
1 cup fontanelle or mozzarella cheese
1 clove garlic

Pre-heat your oven to 350 F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or tin foil.
Put rice in pot and/or rice cooker and steam until done.

Clean two bell peppers (I prefer the yellow or orange peppers but you can use any color) and cut in half length wise (from top to bottom) and remove all seeds.

Place the four pepper halves evenly spaced on the cookie sheet.

While the rice is cooking, heat up a fry pan and add high-heat olive oil (or other cooking oil of your choice) and sauté the garlic on medium heat. Add ground lamb and seasonings, stirring until cooked all the way through. Right before the lamb finishes cooking, add washed spinach to the pan and cook until just wilted. When both the lamb and spinach are finished, removed from heat and put in a medium sized bowl.

Crumble the 1 cup of feta into the bowl over the lamb and spinach. Mix until evenly distributed and add salt and pepper to taste.

Fill each pepper 1/3 to 1/2 of the way with the ground lamb mixture. fill the remaining half of the pepper with the white rice.

Top each pepper with shredded fontenelle cheese and cover with tinfoil tent (as to not stick to the cheese)

Place in oven and bake for 20 - 25 minutes until pepper is cooked. Do not over cook as the cheese will first brown and then burn.

Serve and enjoy!

No comments: