Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Search for the Perfect Frosting: Part 3

Well, making my own powdered sugar was a failure. I just do not have the grinding power to make the sugar into small enough granules as to have it actually combine properly into the frosting. What I succeeded in making was very gritty, albeit tasty, chocolate frosting.

So my initial failure has had me thinking about how I could fix this texture problem without compromising taste.

Since the frosting has to be egg free and corn free, Italian Butter Creme and most Glazes are out of the question. I am not really a fan of glazes anyway for anything other than a pound cake.

However, it occurred to me that the essential component that the powdered sugar provides to the frosting is less the sweetness and more the fluffy texture when binding with the oil (butter, shortening, etc) in question. And that it can be sweetened post mixing, if i can aquire the proper texture. Much like one adds flavoring such as vanilla or almond.

So right now I am letting my shortening soften (it had to go in the fridge as our pantry gets too hot to get it from melting) so I can attempt this alternate route to frosting creation. I am making a very small sample batch. If it comes out well, I plan on trying a larger batch and ditching my grainy mess.

I look forward to taking these cupcakes to knitting night if they come out well. And, if you're lucky I'll post pictures!

No comments: